Monday, August 24, 2009

Week 5: Cars, Babies, and Carpets, oh my!


Sorry for our delay in our blog! We apologize for letting two weeks go by without an update. Ben did sit down to write last week, but forgot the password to the blog, so he quickly gave up and went back to working on the house. I had hoped Ben would write the blog last week since he did most of the work. During week four of the renovations, I had to finish up my work for summer school. My mac died unexpectedly and once I got over the trauma of losing my work from the past two years, I hurried off to IU where I found myself at the computer for 14 hours a day for seven days straight. Ben, in the meantime, put forth all of his energy into the house, painting an entire bedroom on his own. I helped with priming the walls, prior to my computer crashing, but Ben did everything else. He turned the pink and green room (also known as Hubba Bubba) into a beautiful light gray sanctuary. He painted the trim and even developed a patented process fix cracking plaster walls (it's a three step process that is complicated, but produces amazing results). At the end of week four, we were moving onto the scary doll room but with reluctance as the room had a crack in the ceiling that we decided to fix. In addition to fixing the ceiling crack and painting the ceiling, Ben also repaired a large crack that ran floor to ceiling in one of the corners. Of course, painting a ceiling involves removing a fan, so that came down. Instead of a white fan, I convinced Ben we should put in something a little more modern.

As week five arrived, I was once again able to help out with the house as my summer school class ended. Ben was able to paint the trim in the second bedroom and spackle the cracks with his patented process, so I set about priming the room on my own. Although it took me all day long, I turned the scary doll room into a peaceful work space. Ben added to each room by installing the new fans that he purchased at Home Depot and filled the gaps in the closet door frame. The carpets were originally scheduled to be installed on Thursday, but that wasn't going to happen, so we pushed it back until Friday...then Monday.

As the days passed by quickly, we didn't get around to painting the second bedroom or removing carpeting until after the weekend. We went to visit Mark and Carin and little Lucas (our new Nephew) over the weekend and a stop at IKEA on Sunday for some fixtures slowed our progress back to Bedford. Got a start on the work that was absolutely necessary when we got home around nine in the evening. At 3:30 on Monday morning we pulled final pieces of carpet out of most of the rooms except the one that had freshly been painted. Ben finished that Monday after he woke up before going to work! Such goes renovation! Visiting Lucas, Mark and Carin was worth the effort on the backside of it all.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you were up til 4am! You guys are crazy. We loved having you around, but hopefully it didn't sidetrack your whole week! Maybe next time we'll kick you out a little sooner - for your own good. :))

    ReplyDelete